- 2017 year - the Year of Dialogue with the People and Human Interests
- The Strategy of Actions on Further Development of the Republic of Uzbekistan
- Chairmanship of Uzbekistan in the Council of Foreign Ministers of the OIC
- Central Asia - the priority of foreign policy of Uzbekistan
- Problems of water resources in the Central Asia
- Events at Uzbekistan's overseas missions
- Cooperation between the Republic of Uzbekistan and UNDP
- Uzbekistan-NATO Cooperation in EAPC/PFP Framework
- Cooperation of the Republic of Uzbekistan with the European Union
- Participation of the Republic of Uzbekistan in the Commonwealth of Independent States
- Participation of the Republic of Uzbekistan in activity of the International Fund for saving the Aral Sea
- Cooperation of Uzbekistan with the United Nations
- Cooperation between the Republic of Uzbekistan and the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF)
- Cooperation between the Republic of Uzbekistan and the World Health Organization (WHO)
- Cooperation between Uzbekistan and the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
- Cooperation between Uzbekistan and the United Nations Fund for Population Activities (UNFPA)
- Cooperation between Uzbekistan and the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
- Participation of the Republic of Uzbekistan in the Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO)
- Cooperation of the Republic of Uzbekistan with the International Monetary Fund (IMF)
- Cooperation of the Republic of Uzbekistan with the World Bank
- Cooperation between Uzbekistan and UN Food and Agricultural Organization (FAO)
- About cooperation between the Republic of Uzbekistan and the OSCE
- Cooperation between Uzbekistan and the Asian Development Bank (ADB)
- Cooperation of the Republic of Uzbekistan with the United Nations Office on drugs and crime (UNODC)
- Cooperation between Uzbekistan and the Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC)
Cooperation between the Republic of Uzbekistan and the World Health Organization (WHO)
The World Health Organization (WHO) is a specialized agency of the United Nations, and was founded on April 7, 1948 (UN celebrates this date as the World Health Day).
WHO's objectives are the attainment by all people of the highest possible level of health, as well as technical assistance, providing the latest information in the field of health, promoting the evidence - based health challenges in each country.
WHO defines health not as the absence of disease or infirmity, but a condition of complete physical, mental and social well-being. This means that the WHO is working not only with the health system, but also collaborating with other sectors responsible for the determinants of health.
193 countries are the member states of WHO. The main body of the WHO is - World Health Assembly, whose task is the adoption of the WHO program and budget for the current biennium and address the major policy issues.
Daily activity of WHO is carried out through its Secretariat, which is headed by the Director-General.
The WHO Executive Board is composed of 34 members technically qualified in the field of health. The main functions of the Board are to implement the decisions and policies of the World Health Assembly (WHA), to give consultative assistance and to facilitate its work.
WHO Director-General is elected for five years and cannot hold the office for more than two consecutive terms. On the basis of the decision of a special session of WHA, November 9, 2006, Margaret Chan has become the second woman in the history of WHO to be elected as a head of the Organization (previous woman Director-General was Norwegian Gro Harlem Brundtland). Candidacy of Margaret Chan, who previously held the director-general’s assistant position, was presented to the Assembly for approval by the Board of the organization. In May 2012, during the regular session of the WHA, she was re-elected for the second term until 2017.
Uzbekistan joined to the WHO on May 25, 1992. In 1993 WHO Office for the Coordination of Relations was opened in Uzbekistan and is headed by the National officer of WHO.
Cooperation of the Republic of Uzbekistan with the Country office of WHO is carried out on the basis of the biennial cooperation agreements concluded between the WHO European regional bureau and the Ministry of health of the Republic of Uzbekistan.
At the 65th session of the WHO Regional Committee for Europe in Vilnius, Lithuania, 14–17 September, 2015 the Ministry of Health of the Republic of Uzbekistan and the WHO European Regional Office have signed the biennial cooperation agreement for 2016-2017. The budget of WHO financing for the Republic of Uzbekistan within this agreement is $3 million dollars.
Since 2001, the WHO Office in Uzbekistan has been headed by the international officer. From 2006 to 2011 this position was occupied by a Swiss citizen Michel Tailhades, who on completion of his mission in Uzbekistan was awarded the badge "Excellent Health" by the Minister of Health of Uzbekistan.
Through the support of donor countries WHO introduces the following projects in Uzbekistan:
• the fight against infectious diseases (tuberculosis, HIV/AIDS, sexually transmitted diseases through blood safety, injection safety, polio, measles, rubella, malaria, leishmaniasis, SARS- Severe acute respiratory syndrome, surveillance of communicable diseases);
• programs for mothers and children (expanded program on immunization, management of acute respiratory infections and diarrheal diseases, breastfeeding, integrated management of childhood illnesses);
• program to improve disaster preparedness and overcoming their consequences (areas bordering Afghanistan);
• environment and health care programs (food safety, chemical safety, quality control, air and drinking water, international sanitary rules);
• program to combat tobacco, drug addiction and alcoholism;
• pharmaceuticals and drug policy;
• medical information systems programme (the "Health for All");
• training programme (WHO scholarship).
Uzbekistan is a member of the European Regional Office of WHO. Its headquarters is located in Copenhagen (Denmark). There were elections for the post of Director of the European Regional Office of WHO in September 2009. As a result of the elections Zh.Yakab (Hungary) has been elected as a new head of the European Regional Office of WHO.
On May 4-6, 2015 Tashkent held 8-th congress of phthisiatricians (phthisiologists) and pulmonologists. More than 60 leading experts of Ministries of health of Europe (Italy, France, Turkey, etc.), the CIS (Russia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Armenia, Ukraine) and the international organizations (WHO, "Doctors Without Borders" Project "Hope") took part in this congress.
On May 18-26, 2015 in Geneva the delegation of the Republic of Uzbekistan headed by the Minister of Health took part in the 68th session of the World Health Assembly.
- On September 14-17, 2015 in Vilnius (Lithuania) the delegation of the Republic of Uzbekistan headed by the Minister of Health A.Alimov took part in the 65th session of European Regional Office of WHO. During this session Minister of Health of Uzbekistan has been elected to the European Environment and Health Ministerial Board for 2015-2017.